Saturday, July 19, 2014

Me... a country girl??

There's just something about summer that makes me want to forget interiors and head outside - ya I know how can that be!?!

I grew up in the country... sort of.  It's a community about 25 miles east of Seattle and back then it really was "out there".  Today it's grown into more of a suburb, but that doesn't keep many from trying to make it the country again.   I love being back here, backyard chickens and vegetable gardens abound.

While I love the fresh eggs, I'm not quite sure I'm ready for raising chickens, but I have tried to get back into the gardening I remember from my childhood.  I took a class, I bought some plants and now....

I have tomatoes - and they are starting to get ripe!

Six plants have tomatoes and we've had 2 ripe from our sweet 100's plant.  I'm feeling like pioneer woman these days... Here are a few pictures I captured of my crops!

 
Roma tomatoes

Sweet 100's

it's an heirloom, can't remember the name

These are not tomatoes, they are blueberry bushes that are ready for pancakes, pies and who knows what else... that is IF I  can get them picked before the birds get them all.  Those birds have figured out how to get under the net and are loving it!


Also in my small offering are peas (only one plant and not enough for more than a few at a time - oops!), squash, cucumbers, beets and chard.  Between mom and I, we are trying to keep it all watered and anxiously await a meal where we can both partake of some of our crops at one time.

Oh well, there's always next year!

1 comment: