Friday, January 2, 2015

The Designer is in....


It's taken a bit to get this Friday blog started, but here we go fresh in the new year.  You asked, and now I'm starting to answer!

Here is what's on the mind of one follower... "How do you know what style of decorating will really make you happy? I seem to like everything except for really modern. How do I mix the different styles I like and make them look like they go together?"

Well, that first part is a tough question to answer because everyone is so very different.  That's why it is so important if you are working with a professional you engage someone who focuses on creating a space that reflects you and your lifestyle and not what they think your style should be.  If you're trying to navigate your style on your own, I suggest starting with the one thing you know you will love over time... that might be a piece of art you've collected, a piece of furniture that you love, or even a theme that always draws you in.

It sounds like if you are not tied to any one style, you are most likely in that "eclectic" camp. I haven't touched on that since 2013, so let's take another look.  Here's how dictionary.com defines it...

ec·lec·tic [ih-klek-tik] (from dictionary.com)
adjective
1. selecting or choosing from various sources.
2. made up of what is selected from different sources.
3. not following any one system, as of philosophy, medicine, etc., but selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all systems.
4. noting or pertaining to works of architecture, decoration, landscaping, etc., produced by a certain person or during a certain period, that derive from a wide range of historic styles, the style in each instance often being chosen for its fancied appropriateness to local tradition, local geography, the purpose to be served, or the cultural background of the client.

This is not as easy as it sounds to achieve - rather than a mish-mash of items in a space, it is a balance of all the differing styles.  Where to start depends on that first piece that you absolutely love - if it's an antique piece of furniture, then add a more contemporary piece of art and sofa.  If your theme is a rustic lodge - maybe bring in a more transitional (or even contemporary) piece of furniture in a great rustic fabric, then start adding your accessories around that.

I hope that helps to answer your question, but the bottom line is to start with the things you love and work from there and you cannot go wrong!

Tami


To submit a question... just send me a private message (yes it must be private) to tami@tamijones.net and I'll add it to the pile for consideration and answer them as they are appropriate for my blog.  No names will be published, just the questions and answers.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job of helping to blend my love of strong colors, light feeling spaces, and spaces filled with light in designing my office. If I had tried to do this myself I never would have come up with such a bright, cheerful, environment that doesn't distract me from my work. Hiring a professional was the smartest thing I could have done - thank you!

    ReplyDelete